Thursday, August 11, 2011

Matcha Kasutera

            The perfect sponge has always eluded me, often over cooked or undercooked or with huge air cavities...with the little matcha I had left, I really wanted something nice that would go with my leftover koshian cream - A bit of a fancy slice with cream in the middle! I heard a genoise sponge would better suit my purpose, however the japanese dessert book I have uses a Kasutera like sponge for layered desserts. Half the recipes I found seperated eggs, the other half did not. Not sure what the difference would be if you chose to do it that way...but I went for not seperating the eggs. You simply beat them up with grandulated sugar over a pot of hot water (to thoroughly combine sugar and eggs) til it's all pale, fluffy and mousse like (30-40mins)! Then add a mixture of honey and milk while whisking (NOT beating, use a hand whisk) before whisking in one tablespoon at a time of flour. It's tedious and gets harder and harder but you won't have any flour pockets which is extremely important to create the dense light nature of the kasutera. A baked Kasutera should be spongey and spring back when pushed down on. The recipe says to seal in plastic and cool in the fridge - I hope it won't be soggy!! I feeling quite fatigued tonight so it's bed time for me with my fingerscrossed that my Kasutera will be well like a Kasutera - moist and light like a cloud!

You an find the recipe here @ Just Hungry
* I mixed and sifted my matcha with my flour, otherwise if you want to flavour you could try different types of honey.

On a side note seeing as I have appox. 6wks left in Perth, I'm teaching my mum how to make macarons. It's tough finding powdered flavourings and colourings here so I'm going to dry some sugar free kool aid - they're so vabriant colourwise and I'm hoping the flavour will come through in the shell. I googled to see if others have attempted this with no luck...so we shall see - I'm hoping for success as there are even less ingredients you can find out in our area Yucca Valley...Stay tuned folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment