Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fish & Chips

My battered whiting fillets.
An old favourite and a sure winner everytime! Who doesn't love fish and chips? the crunchy flaky batter with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt...mmm...delish but sadly so unhealthy and greasy. My biggest enemy is the deep fryer, almost every homemade recipe requires a deep fryer unless you'll making crumbed fish. But but I don't want crumbed fish I want the delightful crunchy flaky batter, so here I am sitting, wishing and waiting - hoping it'll turn out! so far so good, first I mixed plain flour with salt, pepper, a bit of spice and lemon zest then coated the whiting fillets with the seasoned flour before dipping it in a batter of flour and soda water, and placed it on a tray that had been drizzled in oil and preheated in the oven. I sprinkled the leftover seasoned flour over the fillets and popped them in the oven preheated at 200C and flipped them half way through the cooking time to get a nice brown colour. I cheated with the chips and went with mccains original seasoned chips. Hehe popped it on a tray and banged it into the oven, an easy fuss free dinner served up with salad and half the fat as normal fish and chips from the fry shop!
Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment