Friday, November 12, 2010

Winter in the Woods.

Ok so who doesn't love cute ear flapped beanies? well I absolutely adore them and awhile back I decided to try my hand at designing my own original Nordic/Icelandic style beanie and it looked something like this.

It's amazing warm and snug with its polar fleece lining and adorably slouchy from the outside. Orignially I just called it my slouchy earflapped beanie but since I had to recreate it and redesign on less chunky yarn and smaller needles.

Winter in the woods reborn - the snowflake flaps are still the same the border is slightly different, the reindeers smaller due to the gauge but I have modified the tree so hopefully it will provide the length needed for the slouchiness. This time I am using 100% Pure merino 8ply wool on 4.00mm needles (1 set dpn, 1 circular), I made the flaps and cast ons for the front and back panels on the dpns and joined it all on the circular which creates a seamless look. Here are some photos I took of the progress so far.

Knitting in a round with all sides attached.
The flaps have a total of 25sts each, you cast on 10 and increase 2sts every knit row for 6 rows then 3sts (2 on edges and 1 in middle) on the 7th increase row.

The back edge is 32sts and the front edge is 33sts.

You should have a total of 115sts. 
 
                      




No comments:

Post a Comment