Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mittens for christmas.

Well last year for christmas it was all about scarves so this year I decided to get more creative and make some cute Fair Isle inspired mittens for those chilly northern winters. Right now in Aus its coming into summer so you're probably thinking "what the heck??", they are for my new extended family :) back in Idaho. Needless to say I'm glad I finally have a reason to knit some mittens - yippee!
       Here are the patterns I used;

                                               
    Ruba'iyat Mittens by Heather Desserud

 
White Witch Mitts by Laura Rintala
I just love the white witch mitts, even though I completely changed the colours you still get that gradation from light to dark with the brown, purple and blue which make them so pretty with that simple classic snowflake design. Both patterns use a last thought thumb so there is no hassle making a gusset and is just pretty much knitted in a tube. I do everything on a circular needle with the magic loop method - I always get amazing results using it cos you don't get obvious seams from where you transfered from needle to needle, plus I can easily slip it on my hand. :)



My next project is a beanie for my man, he originally wanted one that I made a while back - its a scandinavian inspired design with reindeers and a snowflake made of chunky acrylic (I detest acrylic but this one has a really nice soft feel) Moda Vera Shiver. Bad news was they don't stock it anymore :( so I'm back to the drawing board to redesign and knit a similar one with smaller needles and 100% Aussie merino wool. Only the best for my sweet Funkin Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment